Mary Guzowski, Professor
Areas of Expertise
Daylighting, Solar Design, Biophilic and Sustainable Design
"Let the beauty we love, be what we do." - Rumi
Mary Guzowski is a Professor in the School of Architecture at the University of Minnesota. She teaches and conducts research related to daylighting, biophilia, and sustainable design. Her recent research has focused on aesthetic and ecological innovations in daylighting and solar design, including a new book entitled the Art of Architectural Daylighting: Design and Technology London: Laurence King Publishing Ltd., 2018). As a recent recipient of a Nuckolls Grant for Lighting Education, she and Professor Abi Asojo (Interior Design) have developed a new Lighting Design Minor and advanced lighting design course in the College of Design. She is currently working with a team of architects, landscape architects, and interior design faculty in the College of Design to explore biophilc net-positive design across scales and disciplines.
Mary has a Masters of Architecture from the University of Washington in Seattle and a Bachelors of Arts in Fine Arts from Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Her continued fascination with daylighting, the natural environment, and ecology has shaped her architectural research and teaching. Interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches to education, research, and practice are essential to her work. She has been involved with a broad community of design educators and practitioners, including the Society of Building Science Educators, the American Solar Energy Society, the Associate Collegiate Schools of Architecture, and the AIA Committee on the Environment.
Her research publications include the books Art of Architectural Daylighting (Laurence King), Towards Zero Energy Architecture: New Solar Design (Laurence King) and Daylighting for Sustainable Design (McGraw Hill); web-based design resources including the Zero+ Campus Design Project, Carbon Neutral Design Project, Minnesota Sustainable Design Guide, the Minnesota Green Housing Design Guide, the Initiative for Renewable Energy in Architecture; and scholarly and professional articles. During the past decade she has received a variety of funded research projects related to ecological design education and practice. Mary has received awards from the AIA COTE and AIA Minnesota for her contributions to ecological design education. She recently received the Distinguished Professors' ACSA "Best Paper Award" for an article on her "Biophilic Net-Positive Design Studio" in the second year of the M.Arch Program.
- Guzowski, M. Towards Zero Energy Architecture: New Solar Design. London: Laurence King Publishing Ltd., 2010. (Published in English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Italian; released in August 2010; international distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. Daylighting for Sustainable Design. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000. (Published in English in 2000, Chinese 2002, and Japanese in 2004; international distribution.)
- Lehrman, B. and L. Abraham, M. Guzowski, and L. Neckar. “Chapter 21: Towards the Zero+ Campus: multi-disciplinary design pedagogy and the energy-water nexus,” for the book Sustainable Energy Landscapes: Designing, Planning and Development; editors: A. van den Dobbelsteen and S. Stremke; London: CRC/Taylor & Francis Group. (Peer review chapter, 2012.)
Select Articles and Papers in Academic and Professional Publications
Guzowski, M. "Daylight as a Design Driver for Biophilic Lighting: Integrating Health and Net-Positive Energy," IES Visionary Challenge, Beyond 2030: What Do You See?, 2020 (pending).
Guzowski, M. "A Biophilic Approach to Net-Positive Design: Studio Lessons," Associated Collegiate Schools of Archtiecture Conferene, May 2020. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution; Distinguished Professors' ACSA Best Paper Award.) Video: 15 minute conference presentation.
Guzowski, M. "An Integrated Daylighting Design Process," Illuminating Engineeering Society of North America, Annual Conference, August 2019. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. "How Tadao Ando Designs with Light and Darkness," BDOnline (Building Design Online), August 6, 2018.
Guzowski, M. "How the Masters See It: Six Ways to Design with Light," ArchDaily, July 15, 2018.
Guzowski, M. “Ecology of Daylighting: Form Follows Light and Performance Follows Form,” ARCC-EEAE International Conference, Philedelphia, PA, 2018. (Peer reviewed paper, international distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Shaped by Light: Reid Building at the Glasgow School of Art,” ARCC Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2017 (peer review paper).
Guzowski, M. “The Renzo Piano Pavilion at the Kimbell Art Museum,” International Passive Low Energy Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2016. (Peer reviewed paper, international distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Towards Net-Zero: Lessons for Architectural Education,” ARCC Conference, Chicago, IL, 2015. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Time and Adaptive Comfort Studies in Net-Zero Design Education,” International Conference on Adaptation and Movement in Architecture, Toronto, Canada, 2013. (Peer reviewed paper, international distribution.)
Guzowski, M and L. Abraham, B. Lehrman, and L. Neckar. “Zero+ Campus Design Project: Integrating Water and Energy in Early Design,” Ball State Greening the Campus Conference IX, 2012. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Passive (is) Progressive,” Architecture Minnesota, Jan/Feb 2012, pp 40-45. (Editorial review.)
Guzowski, M. “The Next Generation of Architectural Education: Integrating a Regenerative Approach to Sustainable Design,” Proceedings of the American Solar Energy Society National Solar Conference, June 2011.
Meyer Boake, T., M. Guzowski, and J. Wasley. “The Carbon Neutral Design Project: Pedagogy Meets Practice,” Proceedings of the Associated Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) Conference, New York: ACSA; 2010, pp. 294-308. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “The Essential Role of Integrated Daylighting and Solar Design in the Quest for Zero-Energy Carbon-Neutral Housing,” Proceedings of the 2010 American Solar Energy Society (ASES) Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES; 2010. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. and L. Abraham. “Integrated Luminous and Thermal Design: A Cold Climate Approach to Zero-Energy Carbon-Neutral Design Education,” Proceedings of the 26th International Passive and Low-Energy Architecture (PLEA) Conference, Quebec City, Canada: 2009, pp. 205-210. (Peer reviewed paper, international distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Educating Future Architects Position Paper,” Environmentally Conscious Design Symposium: Educating Future Architects, State College, PA: Penn State Department of Architecture, 2009, pp. 11-12. (Invited position paper, academic audience.)
Guzowski, M., T. Meyer Boake, and J. Wasley, “Carbon Neutral Design Education Project,” Setting the Next Agenda in Sustainable Design Education, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, England, 2008. (Peer reviewed paper, international distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “The New Architecture of the Sun and Wind,” AIA Committee on the Environment (COTE) Sustainable Design Whitepapers, Washington D.C.: AIA COTE, January 2008. (The first of ten invited whitepapers on sustainable design, editorial review, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M. “Is Beauty Only Skin Deep: The Building Envelope and Its Implications for Daylighting Design,” Proceedings of the 2007 ASES Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES, 2007. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Guzowski, M., D. Kelbaugh, S. McDowell, P. Rasmussen, and R. Smith. “Integrated Practice and the Twenty-first Century Curriculum,” Proceedings from the AIA Conference on Sustainability in Architecture and Higher Education and republished in the 2007 Cranbrook Conference, New York: AIA/ACSA, 2008, pp. 78-81. (Invited whitepaper, editorial review, national distribution, team coordinator.)
Guzowski, M. and W. Weber. “Solar Design in Minnesota: Lessons from Zero Energy Housing,” Proceedings of the 2006 ASES Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES, July 2006. (Peer reviewed paper, national distribution.)
Select Grants Received
- Guzowski, M. and Abi Asojo, Genell Ebbini, Joe Favour, Richard Graves, Jessica Rossi-Mastracci, "A Biophilic Approach to Net-Positive Design, College of Design, University of Minnesota, 2020-2021 (P.I.).
- Asojo, A., and M. Guzowski, Lighting Design Minor, Nuckolls Fund for Lighting Education, 2018-2020 (Co-P.I.).
- Graves, R. and B. Keeler (Co-P.I.); M. Guzowski, S. Polasky, S. Hobbie, J. Hellman, and R. Strong. “Sustainable Development: Architecture and Planning within the Ecological Footprint of One Planet,” Grand Challenges Research Grant, University of Minnesota, 2016-2018 (Research Team Member).
- Guzowski, M. "Art of Architectural Daylighting," Imagine Fund, University of Minnesota, 2015-16 (P.I.).
- Strong, R. and M. Guzowski (2010-12: L. Neckar, L. Abraham, B. Lehrman, et al). “Zero+ Campus Design Project,” Office of the Provost, University of Minnesota, 2010-2015 (Co-P.I.).
- Wasley, J., T. Meyer Boake, M. Guzowski, and J. Quale. “Carbon Neutral Design Project,” American Institute of Architects (AIA), 2008-2009 with the educational initiative on-going, AIA and Oak Hill Foundation (Co-P.I.).
- Guzowski M. and J. Carmody. “Initiative for Renewable Energy in Architecture (reARCH),” Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), 2006-2008 (P.I.).
- Carmody. J, M. Guzowski, and R. Strong. “Minnesota Zero Energy Design Protocol (mnZED Protocol),” MPCA, 2007-2009 (Co-P.I.).
- Carmody, J., F. Forsyth, M. Guzowski, P. Huelman, and L. Lavine. “Affordable Housing Initiative,” U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Affairs; 2004-2007 (Co-P.I.).
- Guzowski, M., L. Lavine, and P. Huelman. “Phase One: The Single Family Pilot House Demonstration Project,” Amherst H. Wilder Foundation, 2002-2004 (P.I.).
- Carmody, J. and M. Guzowski. “Integrating Sustainable Design and Affordable Housing in Minnesota (Minnesota Green Housing Design Guide),” Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance (MnOEA), State of Minnesota, 2002-2004 (Co-P.I.).