Robert C. Mack, FAIA, Adjunct Professor
Robert C. Mack, FAIA
Adjunct Professor & Principal, MacDonald & Mack Architects
Office: 400 S 4th St. Minneapolis, MN
Robert Mack has devoted his professional career to the preservation of historic building and structures throughout the country. He co-founded MacDonald & Mack Architects in 1977 and remains in an active leadership role. He began teaching in the School of Architecture in 1988 teaching all the preservation-related courses until expansion of the preservation offerings began with the introduction of the MS program.
MacDonald & Mack not only undertakes its own projects but also serves as the "preservation studio" for firms lacking experience with historic preservation. In addition, his experience with historic masonry has led to consulting with both building owners and professional clients nationwide.
Bob is active with the American Institute of Architects, the Association for Preservation Technology, and local civic organizations.
University of Minnesota
Ba & BArch
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland
MS with Distinction
- Preservation of Masonry
- Archaic building construction
- Preservation Briefs: Number 1, The Cleaning and Waterproof Coating of Masonry Buildings. National Park Service, Washington, D.C., Nov. 1975, revised 2000.
- Preservation Briefs: Number 2, Reporting Mortar Joints in Historic Brick Buildings. National Park Service, Washington, D.C., April 1976, revised 1980, 1997.
- Rehabilitation Guidelines 1982: Guideline on the Rehabilitation of Walls, Windows, and Roofs. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 1982.
- "The Manufacture and Use of Terra Cotta in the United States," The Technology of Historic American Buildings. Foundation for Preservation Technology, Washington, D.C., 1983.
- "Cleaning and Waterproofing of Historic Masonry Buildings," Cleaning Stone and Masonry. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1986.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American Institute of Architects
- Fellow, Association for Preservation Technology
- Career Achivement Award, Preservation Alliance of Minnesota
- Firm of the Year, AIA/Minnesota
- Honor Award from National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Numerous project awards from state and local preservation organizations