Mary Guzowski, Professor
Areas of Expertise
Daylighting, Solar Design, Sustainable Design
Mary Guzowski is a Professor in the School of Architecture at the University of Minnesota. She teaches and conducts research related to daylighting, environmental technology, and sustainable design. Mary has a Masters of Architecture from the University of Washington in Seattle and a Bachelors of Arts in Fine Arts from Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Her continued fascination with daylighting, the natural environment, and ecology has shaped her architectural research and teaching. Interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches to education, research, and practice are essential to her work. She has been involved with a broad community of design educators and practitioners, including the Society of Building Science Educators, the American Solar Energy Society, the Associate Collegiate Schools of Architecture, and the AIA Committee on the Environment.
Her research publications include the books Towards Zero Energy Architecture: New Solar Design (Laurence King) and Daylighting for Sustainable Design (McGraw Hill); web-based design resources including the Zero+ Campus Design Project, Carbon Neutral Design Project, Minnesota Sustainable Design Guide, the Minnesota Green Housing Design Guide, and the Initiative for Renewable Energy in Architecture; and scholarly and professional articles. During the past decade she has received a diversity of funded research projects related to ecological design education and practice. Recent research has focused on aesthetic and ecological innovations in solar architecture and carbon-neutral design. She is currently a co-principal investigator for the Zero+ Campus Design Project(with Rich Strong et al.). The Zero+ Project is a design collaboration with the UMN Campus Planning to develop design resources to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, energy, and water consumption while fostering design excellence on campus. Mary has received educational awards from the AIA COTE and AIA Minnesota for her work in ecological design education. She is currently working on a new book of case studies entitled the Art of Daylighting: Exquisite Rooms.
- Guzowski, M. Towards Zero Energy Architecture: New Solar Design. London: Laurence King Publishing Ltd., 2010. (Published in English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Italian; released in August 2010; international distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. Daylighting for Sustainable Design. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000. (Published in English in 2000, Chinese 2002, and Japanese in 2004; international distribution.)
- Lehrman, B. and L. Abraham, M. Guzowski, and L. Neckar. “Chapter 21: Towards the Zero+ Campus: multi-disciplinary design pedagogy and the energy-water nexus,” for the book Sustainable Energy Landscapes: Designing, Planning and Development; editors: A. van den Dobbelsteen and S. Stremke; London: CRC/Taylor & Francis Group. (Peer review chapter, 2012.)
Select Articles and Papers in Academic and Professional Publications
Guzowski, M. “Time and Adaptive Comfort Studies in Net-Zero Design Education,” International Conference on Adaptation and Movement in Architecture, Toronto, Canada, 2013 (peer review paper).
- Guzowski, M and L. Abraham, B. Lehrman, and L. Neckar. “Zero+ Campus Design Project: Integrating Water and Energy in Early Design,” Ball State Greening the Campus Conference IX, 2012. (Peer review.)
- Guzowski, M. “Passive (is) Progressive,” Architecture Minnesota, Jan/Feb 2012, pp 40-45. (Editorial review.)
- Guzowski, M. “The Next Generation of Architectural Education: Integrating a Regenerative Approach to Sustainable Design,” Proceedings of the American Solar Energy Society National Solar Conference, June 2011.
- Meyer Boake, T., M. Guzowski, and J. Wasley. “The Carbon Neutral Design Project: Pedagogy Meets Practice,” Proceedings of the Associated Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) Conference, New York: ACSA; 2010, pp. 294-308. (Peer review paper, national distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. “The Essential Role of Integrated Daylighting and Solar Design in the Quest for Zero-Energy Carbon-Neutral Housing,” Proceedings of the 2010 American Solar Energy Society (ASES) Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES; 2010. (Peer review paper, national distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. and L. Abraham. “Integrated Luminous and Thermal Design: A Cold Climate Approach to Zero-Energy Carbon-Neutral Design Education,” Proceedings of the 26th International Passive and Low-Energy Architecture (PLEA) Conference, Quebec City, Canada: 2009, pp. 205-210. (Peer review paper, international distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. “Educating Future Architects Position Paper,” Environmentally Conscious Design Symposium: Educating Future Architects, State College, PA: Penn State Department of Architecture, 2009, pp. 11-12. (Invited position paper, academic audience.)
- Guzowski, M., T. Meyer Boake, and J. Wasley, “Carbon Neutral Design Education Project,” Setting the Next Agenda in Sustainable Design Education, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, England, 2008. (Peer review paper, international distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. “The New Architecture of the Sun and Wind,” AIA Committee on the Environment (COTE) Sustainable Design Whitepapers, Washington D.C.: AIA COTE, January 2008. (The first of ten invited whitepapers on sustainable design, editorial review, national distribution.)
- Guzowski, M. “Is Beauty Only Skin Deep: The Building Envelope and Its Implications for Daylighting Design,” Proceedings of the 2007 ASES Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES, 2007. (Peer review paper, national distribution.)
- Guzowski, M., D. Kelbaugh, S. McDowell, P. Rasmussen, and R. Smith. “Integrated Practice and the Twenty-first Century Curriculum,” Proceedings from the AIA Conference on Sustainability in Architecture and Higher Education and republished in the 2007 Cranbrook Conference, New York: AIA/ACSA, 2008, pp. 78-81. (Invited whitepaper, editorial review, national distribution, team coordinator.)
- Guzowski, M. and W. Weber. “Solar Design in Minnesota: Lessons from Zero Energy Housing,” Proceedings of the 2006 ASES Conference, Boulder, CO: ASES, July 2006. (Peer review paper, national distribution.)
Select Grants Received
- Strong, R. and M. Guzowski (2010-2012: L. Neckar, L. Abraham, B. Lehrman, et al). “Zero+ Campus Design Project,” Office of the Provost, University of Minnesota, $255,545; 2010-date (Co-P.I.).
- Wasley, J., T. Meyer Boake, M. Guzowski, and J. Quale. “Carbon Neutral Design Project,” American Institute of Architects (AIA), 2008-2009 with the educational initiative on-going, $150,000 AIA and Oak Hill Foundation, (Co-P.I.).
- Guzowski M. and J. Carmody. “Initiative for Renewable Energy in Architecture (reARCH),” Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), 2006-2008, $40,000 (MPCA)/$19,000 matching funds from CALA, CSBR and partners (P.I.).
- Carmody. J, M. Guzowski, and R. Strong. “Minnesota Zero Energy Design Protocol (mnZED Protocol),” MPCA, 2007-2009, $40,000 (MPCA)/$20,000 matching funds from CALA, CSBR and partners (Co-P.I.).
- Carmody, J., F. Forsyth, M. Guzowski, P. Huelman, and L. Lavine. “Affordable Housing Initiative,” U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Affairs, $400,000 HUD/$400,000 in matching funds from Wilder Foundation and Frogtown CDC; 2004-2007 (Co-P.I.).
- Guzowski, M., L. Lavine, and P. Huelman. “Phase One: The Single Family Pilot House Demonstration Project,” Amherst H. Wilder Foundation, 2002-2004, $129,000 (P.I.).
- Carmody, J. and M. Guzowski. “Integrating Sustainable Design and Affordable Housing in Minnesota (Minnesota Green Housing Design Guide),” Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance (MnOEA), State of Minnesota, 2002-2004, $75,000 OEA/$75,000 in matching funds from UMN (Co-P.I.).